Last day in April, If I don't post at least something this month, I'll lose my followers.

 OK, Im just dumping photos, and I'm going to try to caption them the best of that I can.

My Cal 35 has(had) a draft of 6 ft. That is normally considered to be almost too deep to navigate the ICW and the Bahamas.  It's limiting access to marinas, and more protected anchorages. 

Against the counsel of experts, the opinion of the interwebs, convention and wisdom, I cut 18 inches (a foot and a half) off the bottom of my boat.


Glassed the huge hole in the bottom of the keel.

Popped the lead out of the cut off section.  I estimate this to be between a third and half of the total lead ballast, 5000 lbs.  I will get an exact weight.


I have been cutting that sucker up into pieces I can move.  sort of.


This is going to be reworked into ballast bulb halves and bolted to the sides and glassed in.


I have an idea... stay tuned.


Careful to keep the sawzall tailing contained.


We have lots of canvas work to do.


...and Lithium batteries to install.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

19 February 2023, Some Progress and a Flashback

Rainy cold weekends are always a setback. 60 hour workweeks don't leave much time for catch-up.